[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Email Hack: Help.

Doug Breault wrote:
=>
=>Hello Everyone,
=>
=>We've got a problem here with a hacker. There's some punk
=>apparently hacking a mail server somewhere and sending BS postings all over
=>the net regarding get rich quick schemes, etc - from a non-existent
=>account on our server. They've done it twice so far, from two different
=>non-existent accounts.

=>2. What are the methods one uses to do fake these FROM fields? And is
=>   there a way to prevent it?

Hi Doug,

  may be able to help here.

Assuming that the systems that have email daemons are Unix-based, you can
use the 'hosts.allow' and 'hosts.deny' mechanism.

Just add all valid hosts to the '/etc/hosts.allow' file and then put 'all'
in the '/etc/hosts.deny' file against the 'smtp' entry.

Hope this helps,

Steff

Follow-Ups: References: